Quoits is an excellent game with a long history. It is thought to have been first invented in Greece by civilians too poor to afford a discus and so they bent horse shoes into rings. The purpose of the game for many years was to throw the horse shoe as far as possible, but in a few centuries AD they drove a stake into the ground and the aim was to get it as close as possible. The game has been played since by all classes of people.
For this game you can play with any number of players, in teams or individuals.
- Throw the coin to see who goes first
- Decide where your starting point is
- Place your quoits base approximately 3 metres from the starting point
- Each player or team throws four quoits each turn
- If it lands on a spike you get the number written on the base
- The first team or player to reach 230 points (long game) or 90 points (short game) is the winner!